The conservation efforts of the Bulkley Valley Rod and Gun Club predate its official formation in 1936. From 1925 to 1929, the group was already involved in planting trout eggs in Lake Kathlyn inlets, introducing and encouraging beneficial wildlife, while reducing and bringing awareness to invasive and damaging species. On May 1, 1936, a meeting was held in the Municipal Hall in Smithers for the purpose of forming the Bulkley Valley Fish Game and Forest Protective Association. R. Richardson was nominated as President and Mr. Mapleton as Secretary/ Treasurer. At a meeting on July 16, 1937, a motion was put forth to change the name to the Bulkley Valley Game Club and on March 10, 1938, the motion was carried to change the name to Bulkley Valley Rod and Gun Club. Over the years, the club has worked on many conservation and access projects, including cutting and improving trails to various lakes, building a hatchery to spawn and release fry, establishing the Pheasant project, and fostering better ecological environments. The group is still active as of 2020.
Records from accession number 2016.2 were in the possession of a former member's family, and were found in an attic. It was given to the current president of the Club, Brian Atherton in 2014. In January 2015 the book was transferred to the Archives.
Scope and Content
Fonds contains records that reflect the activities and functions of the Bulkley Valley Gun and Rod Club. Records include a cashbook, meeting minutes, certificates and life memberships.
Transcription of the ledger book found in the BV Rod and Gun Club reference file.