The Booster Bulkley was published monthly, covering social activities and school life from Rose Lake to Barrett. The first issue was published on November 22, 1923. The original editorial committee consisted of representatives from different districts of the Bulkley Valley: community leader Reverend L. Clinton Johnson (Convener), and schoolteachers Miss E.G. Stratton (Houston), Miss R.O. Stewart (North Bulkley), J. Ronald Todd (Topley), Frank Rendle (Forestdale) and Miss G. Keith (Rose Lake). The Interior News of July 30th 1924 reported that “The popular young pastor and the school teachers … undertook the publishing of a community newspaper, which … carried the boosting beyond the name and each month breathed optimism.” In spring 1924, the Booster staff also held a series of concerts/dances throughout the District, appearing at Topley, Houston, Forestdale and Decker Lake. The Booster had a short run, with only seven issues ever published, but reportedly enjoyed great success among its audience. Proceeds from sales of the paper were used to start a school library in Houston.
Scope and Content
"The Folly of Taking Offence", "Monthly Lantern Talks", Houston briefs, Golden Keys, "The Quitter", "Things That Count".