Skip header and navigation
Gas Mask Kit
- METAL / ALLOY - UNKNOWN
- a) A black rubber gas mask with a brown metal cannister. The top part is a mask formed to fit the face. One side of the face has "NORMAL" embossed and "BFG 3/42" imprinted on it. The rear of the mask has six elasticized straps which are joined to a cross shaped piece of rubber. Two round pieces of…
- TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT FOR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- REGULATIVE AND PROTECTIVE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
- a) A black rubber gas mask with a brown metal cannister. The top part is a mask formed to fit the face. One side of the face has "NORMAL" embossed and "BFG 3/42" imprinted on it. The rear of the mask has six elasticized straps which are joined to a cross shaped piece of rubber. Two round pieces of glass bordered with a metal frame is embedded into the rubber for the eyes. Below one eye piece is a short tubular piece of rubber sticking out. The mouthpiece of the mask is a dome shaped piece of metal with evenly spaced holes encircling the top and "CCB 1942 V" imprinted around the outside. Below this is a silver coloured metal tube with a slanted top piece that connects to a grey rubber hose. This hose is ribbed and expands down to the brown cannister. The cannister is oblong with "GSW MACDONALD PLANT TORONTO" imprinted and "27/4/42 0 SBT 206" is embossed on top of the cannister. Also on top is "P3" and a "C" with an arrow in it stamped in black ink. The cannister's sides are ribbed vertically at the bottom and horizontally at the top. On one side near the bottom is two horizontal openings with a slim piece of metal extending vertically over the centre of them. The bottom has "GSW, NO 4A, 1942" imprinted and "DR/1, E/ VI" on it.
b) A square, tan, canvas, military bag for holding the gas mask. A flap extends from the back to the front of the bag and is attached with two metal snaps. Inside of the flap are the words "S.S. HOLDEN LTD, OTTAWA CANADA, 1942" stamped inside a black circle in black. The bottom of the bag has a circular metal drain in the center of it. The left side has a pocket near the bottom with a thin piece of rop that goes through a hole in the pocket. The right side has a greyish metal disk fastened in the middle and a small round hole near the bottom where a looped piece of rope hangs out. Near the top is a canvass handle with two metal buckles fastened to the left and right side. The inside of the bag consists of six compartments of different sizes.
c) The lid to a round gold coloured tin. It has "9/42 CANCO" imprinted on it and a small oping in the centre.
d) The bottom of the tin. It has "OUTFIT, ANTI-DIMMING MK VI, DIRECTIONS, WET THE FINGER TIP AND MOISTEN THE INNER SURFACE OF THE EYEPIECE, RUB VIGOROUSLY WITH THE CLOTH PROVIDED UNTIL THE SURFACE IS CLEAR AND DRY" printed in black ink on it.
e) A small white cloth from inside of the tin.
f) A pamphlet titled "Brief Notes on War Gases and Spray: How to Recognise and What to do". The pamphlet has subheadings such as "Personal Decontamination", "Gas Warning System", and "Your Respirator".
- The pamphlet was issued by the National Defence Headquarters
- METAL / ALLOY - UNKNOWN
- c-d) 2
- b) 30.5
- a) 69
- c-d) 5.3
- Units Of Measurement
- Accession No.
- 1991.140.2 a-f
- Type of Record
- Museum Artifact